Monday, June 22, 2015

Seared Scallops and Pan-Seared Belgian Endives with White Wine Orange Reduction

This is my first post and I am excited because last night I made a delicious dinner!  Yay!  I had originally purchased endive and scallops for the grill, but because I live in Minnesota, mother nature took hold and it poured cats and dogs.  So, I searched for pan-seared endive recipes and came across this Pan-Seared Belgian Endives with White Wine Orange Reduction from The Fitchen.  So I decide to adjust this dish to make it SIBO legal and sear my scallops as well.  It was delicious and filling.  The reduction was amazing.  Next time I will make a double batch so I have more for dipping my scallops in!

I started by getting the endive dish going (see below for SIBO approved substitutions for the endive recipe).  Follow the instructions in the recipe for cutting the endive.  I decided to get the endive searing before making the reduction (instructions #3 and #4, skipping #2), which worked well because the reduction can continue to reduce while you work on the scallops.  Then I worked on the reduction (#2).  As I mentioned earlier, the reduction is amazing, so you should double it!

While the reduction thickens (and don't forget to stir once and awhile!!!), flip the endive and follow steps #5 and 6 - here I also put some slivered almonds and orange wedges in the pan to cook along side the endive.  While the endive cooks, prep the scallops.  Heat olive oil and butter (I just wing the amount but if you want a measurement just google "how to sear sea scallops") over medium-high heat in a frying pan.  While the oil and butter mixture gets hot, rinse your scallops and pat them dry -- this is important, a wet scallop won't sear properly!  Salt and pepper them lightly.  When the oil/butter is ready (you can tell by flicking some water in your pan and if it sizzles it is ready) place your scallops lightly in the pan.  You have been stirring your reduction this whole time, right?!?!  The scallops only need to cook for 2-3 minutes per side.  Nothing is worse than overcooked seafood, so make sure you are watching the time.

When the scallops have cooked on both sides, it is time to plate!  Voila!


SIBO Adjustments: Sub almonds for the pistachios.  Use honey, not maple syrup.  Also, make sure to use fresh squeezed orange juice.

Difficulty: Medium, but only  because of the scallops.  I had to time the dishes just right so they were done at the exact same time.

Time: It took me 1 hour from the time I started cooking to the time I got done eating.  I didn't know I was going to blog about SIBO until today, so I didn't time the cooking.  But, it probably took me about 20 minutes or so to eat, so cooking probably took 40.

Ingredients:
For the endives
3 medium Belgian endives

⅓ cup white wine vinegar
⅓ cup orange juice (fresh squeezed)
1 Tablespoon honey
2 Tablespoons slivered almonds
sea salt
fresh black pepper
3 Tablespoons olive oil

For the scallops

8 (or however many you want) sea scallops
Butter
Olive oil

No comments:

Post a Comment