Monday, June 8, 2015

Strawberry "Chopped" Salad

I used to love making this Cape Cod Chopped Salad by Barefoot Contessa in the summer.  It's light and delicious, but still filling and doesn't feel like "just a salad".  However, their are quite a few ingredients that aren't allowed on the SIBO Specific Diet.  Sadness.  But tonight, while at the co-op, I saw some delicious, ripe, juicy strawberries on sale and went a little crazy when I bought 3 huge cartons.  I decided I needed to incorporate the berries in to more meals and thought it would be fun to make a version of this salad that is SIBO approved (I know there are tons of recipes specifically for strawberry salads, but what is the fun in that?).  So I grilled up some steaks and made this beautiful salad.

First, I got the bacon frying (make sure it is bacon with honey and not sugar, syrup, etc).  I like my bacon extra crispy, especially in salads.  Cooking bacon in the over is a much more mess-free way to do it, but it was 80 degrees out and I didn't want the oven turned on.


While the first batch of bacon fried, I chopped the strawberries.  I cut them in to 1/4 inch thick slices, but you could chop them up as well.  Check your bacon, does it need flipped?  Next, is time for the salad dressing.  I always make mine in a jar so that I can shake it all up with ease.  All I did was pour all of the ingredients for the dressing (listed below) in a jar and shake vigorously until it is all blended.  Voila!


Take your bacon out of the pan (if frying) and put it on a plate lined with paper towels to dry.  Then start prepping the salad.  I used one of those plastic containers of mixed greens.  I wanted arugula, but the market I went to didn't have any on hand.  Spinach would also be a good option.  In a large bowl, add in your (washed) lettuce/greens, cut strawberries, and walnuts.  Take your bacon from the paper towels and chop it up and throw it in the bowl.  If you plan to eat the entire salad in that sitting, mix in the amount of dressing that is to your personal tastes and mix it all up.  If you think you will be eating this salad for a couple of meals, just add dressing to your individual salad(s).  If you mix it in, the lettuce won't keep.  And don't worry if you don't use all of the dressing - it keeps well for about a week!

SIBO Adjustments:  Bacon with honey, mustard with no "spices" - I used Koop's Deli Style,  honey instead of maple syrup

 Difficulty:  Easy

Time:  20 minutes

Ingredients:
For the salad
1 small carton strawberries
Handful chopped walnuts
1 container of mixed spring greens, arugula, or lettuce of your choice

For the dressing
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 1/2 teaspoons mustard (see note above)
2 tablespoons honey
Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup good olive oil


No comments:

Post a Comment