Sunday, June 14, 2015

Spaghetti Squash Pizza Crust

Tonight I was craving pizza.  I miss pizza so much.  So, so much.  A friend had told me once that she made pizza crust out of squash, so I did a quick search on Google and found a ton of tasty looking recipes for squash pizza crust.  I decided to go with a spaghetti squash version so that I could eat any leftover squash and sauce the next day.  After checking out a couple of recipes, I decided to go with a pizza crust by A Beautiful Mess.  It only has 5 ingredients and is super easy.

I started by cooking the squash.  I actually did this the day before so that I could save some time when I wanted to make the pizza.  I used the biggest squash I could find so that I had some extra.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and put a cookie sheet or pizza pan in the oven while it preheats.  Scoop out about 4 cups of squash and squeezed out all the water by taking tiny handfuls of squash and using my hands to squeeze.  This step is really important as you need the squash as dry as possible.  Once my squash was nice and dry, I mixed it together with the egg and spices.


Take your hot pan out of the oven and line it with parchment paper.  Spread out your squash mixture on the paper, making sure to keep it all the same thickness (about 1/4 inch).  Put the crust back in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until it starts to get brown on the edges.

While the crust cooks, make your sauce.  All you have to do is throw all the sauce ingredients in a pan, bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer.

Once the crust is ready, prepare your pizza.  I used tomato sauce, fresh roma tomatoes, basil, and some leftover cooked chicken breast.  Cover the pizza in a cheese of your choice (making sure it is aged and SIBO approved).  I used an aged Havarti.  I wanted to use smoked mozzarella, but the grocer was out.  The Havarti ended up being an amazing choice though.  Once your toppings are all one the pizza, toss it back in the oven until the cheese melts.  Voila!  Pizza!

The crust retained some of it's squashy flavor, but not a lot.  I had to eat mine with a fork because the crust didn't get crispy, but it was still very good and made me feel like I was enjoying pizza, so I would make it again.  I was also really hungry and started eating it before I thought about taking a picture.  Sorry about that, I am new to this blogging thing.  


SIBO Adjustments:  Make sure to use an aged cheese.  Make your own sauce or be sure to find one that doesn't have garlic, onion, or sugar in it.

Difficulty:  Moderate

Time:  1.5 hours (45 minutes for the squash, 10 minutes to prep crust, 30 minutes to cook crust, 5 minutes to cook pizza)

Ingredients:
For the crust
1 large spaghetti squash
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

For the sauce
1 carton crushed tomatoes (I use Pomi brand because it is just tomatoes)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme (if using dried, only use 1 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 handful chopped fresh basil
Salt and pepper to liking

For the pizza
Aged cheese
Toppings of your choice


No comments:

Post a Comment